View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Laughter,

I am glad to see that you can keep your sense of humor in spite of all that is going on!!

So just please clarify for me.... the OS did a biopsy AND culture or he just did the biopsy? I hope he did both. Generally the dentist has the results within 7-10 days. If they are emailed to him, he may have them sooner. For the culture they basically put the bacteria in a Petri dish with different antibiotics to see which is most sensitive. The preliminary report can be as soon as 24-48 hours.

He may have prescribed the antibiotic as a precaution but that still does not really negate the need to do the culture.

So there were root tips retained from the extraction! I'm glad he took them out of there. The surgery he did was pretty extensive as he had to open up a large area and spread the bone apart to retrieve everything. This will take some time to heal.

Regarding the flush feeling, I would suggest that you call the pharmacist and ask if that could be a side effect of the clindamycin. Also, are you taking a probiotic supplement to help replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotic is killing off?

Regarding the use of ice.... basically that should only be applied for the first 24 hours. To apply it now could cause the swelling to become hard and more uncomfortable. It may help to apply moist heat. Not hot, just very warm. You can dampen a wash cloth and put it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds and then apply that cloth to the outside of your face. Cover that cloth with a dry one to keep the heat in. Leave that on for 15 - 20 minutes and repeat 3 times a day. The moist heat encourages blood to flow and can reduce the inflammation which reduces the swelling.

I sure hope your pie hole starts to feel better soon ~'.'~

Keep in touch with us......

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote