View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canagirl View Post
I have had a fasting blood test for glucose (I am not sure what they test in this a1c?) and it came back normal. I asked for a glucose tolerance test but my doc said the blood test is better and since it came back normal I don't have any issues. He said the glucose tolerance test puts a lot of stress on the body and doesn't think I need to do it. What do you guys think?
A1c is not the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. A1c shows an average of what's going on with your sugar over a couple of months, but it does NOT show what's happening with your sugar on a daily basis. My A1c is perfectly fine, yet my glucose spikes high and stays high when I eat carbs. So for 12 hours a day, my glucose is probably at or near fasting levels , and for the other 12 hours a day (when I was eating a lot of carbs), my glucose was likely high. That probably averages out to something pretty normal, but the high daily levels certainly still could have been doing nerve damage.

Diabetes didn't show up in my OGTT, but the Reactive Hyploglycemia did. My regular doctor confirmed that I needed go low carb immediately and get more exercise.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
canagirl (05-11-2015), glenntaj (05-12-2015)