View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 04:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Preparing to taper....

Hello, I'm so happy to have found this thread. I am 42, diagnosed with fibromyalgia in June, but I'm not sure anymore that that is what I have. Anyway, a few months ago, I stopped lyrica, questioning the benefits. I didn't feel it was helping my pain.

I started going through horrible withdrawals, and for some reason, didn't make the connection to the Lyrica. I was off of the drug for close to 3 weeks, and thought I was losing my mind. i couldn't sleep for more than an hour at a time, muscle spams, nausea, severe depression...beyond depression. I couldn't do anything at all. I just laid on the couch all day and stated into space. I work from home and somehow didn't lose my job.

I started to wonder if it was the lyrica. I'm not sure how I even managed to have the thought...but I took my dose, and bam! Everything cleared up. I went back on it because I was about to get married and couldn't go through the wedding like that.

So, now that the wedding is over, I want to get off of this drug. As I said, it isn't helping with my pain, and I want to be rid of it.

This time, I will taper off. Hopefully my doctor is supportive. If he isn't, I will find one that is.

I just want to say, though, that I feel very deceived by the whole process. I was put given lyrica samples last June and at first, I thought it worked great. Then my insurance company wouldn't cover it until I failed gabapentin at 3600 mg a day. So, I was dosed up to that. Finally, I was put on Lyrica in December (200mg 3x daily), but never taken off of the gabapentin. So until March, I was on both. I have since gotten a new doctor, who told me I never should have been on both. I have been going through issues going off of the gabapentin as well. I will confess that at times, I've had to take some of the gabapentin I have left.

I'm going to try everything that triviafriend suggests to make things easier, plus I ordered the Gotu Kola as well. I will go down slowly and just do the best I can. I've been reading everything I can find, looking for hard and fast answers, but it seems like there aren't any. The withdrawal is different for everyone, I guess. The timing and severity vary greatly, from what I'm reading.

I'm not sure exactly when I will start, but I will post my journey here. I have found many people post when they are going through the withdrawals, but not when they end. I know for me, that would be helpful.

Wish me luck!
imkelley1972 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (05-25-2015), Lara (05-11-2015)