View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Drum_stix,

Retained root tips can cause chronic infection and cysts to form in the jaw bone around the pieces of tooth. They can also cause various forms of osteitis or osteomyelitis all of which are chronic progressive bone disorders that cause the bone to deteriorate.

As I mentioned previously, general dentists have limited training in oral surgery as their majority of education emphasizes restorative dentistry not surgery. A dentist who goes on to become an oral surgery goes through a multi year rigorous surgical program and then does nothing other than oral surgery in his personal practice.

Perhaps your dentist is embarrassed that she was unable to complete the extraction and realizes she cannot further assist you but doesn't want to look bad to a colleague. In that case, she is probably hoping you will just go to an oral surgeon on your own so she doesn't have to make that contact with him herself.

The meds may temporarily subside the symptoms but they cannot cure or prevent the proliferation of the bacteria because the source of the problem is still present. So unfortunately in this case a reduction in pain is not an indication that the problem is resolved.

I hope you will consider the information I have provided you here and consult with an oral surgeon soon.

Take care.......

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote