View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 09:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Functional neurological disorder

Functional Neurological Disorder has been given many names over the years including the archaic Conversion Disorder,
Functional Movement Disorder
Dissociactive Seizures,
Hypochondrias-is
Malingering,
Psychosomatic,
Psychogenic
Abnormal Illness Behaviour, GOES ON AND ON AND ON AND ON

I have been diagnosed with Functional Neurological Disorder which seems to account for most of us who have movement disorders/seizures that do not fit into any known medical pigeon hole.

I attend a Neuro Psychologist who is trying to raise the awareness of this dreadfully debilitating condition and who also wants Neurologists and medical practitioners to understand that the symptoms can overwhelm the patient and destroy lives, familes and careers. Just as mush as Parkinsons or Multiple Sclerosis

Accepting that this condition relates to me and have nothing organic found to account for my symptoms which include, constipation, poor walking gait, cramps in calves, double vision, depression and mood swings and yes yes yes fatigue. has been the most difficult thing I have ever had to do.

A consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland, Jon Stone is working hard doing research and trying to educate Neurologists in particular that the 20% of people who come into their consultation room with unexplainable movements etc are not making it up, feeling sorry for themselves or looking to achieve some manipulation of their life/ environment/ relationships.

So remember anyone who reads this, if you get a diagnosis of FND it is real and you can hold your head up high. It may not be understood how we develope this disorder but it is certainly very real. YOU ARE NOT MAD. Tell people what you have and lets try to get further research into this and related conditions.
waterwillow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (05-15-2015), EnglishDave (05-15-2015), gypcgirl (06-26-2019), juliejayne (05-17-2015), PamelaJune (02-06-2016), St George 2013 (05-16-2015)