View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I do not have a Service Dog, but I do have a therapy dog in training.

The wait for service dogs in my area is years. So I didn't feel that was a good choice for me right now.

I've suffered severe depression since my CPRS diagnosis. I have gone from working full time in a very active job to mostly just sitting on the couch (except to go to doctor's appointments) due to the pain. When I started looking into service dogs and was getting discouraged with the wait my husband suggested that maybe I needed a hobby (since I can't do any of my previous hobbies). We eventually came up with the idea of training a therapy dog. With the help of my family, I should be able to manage to take her to classes (one time a week for one hour and only 10 minutes from home). If she gets certified as a therapy dog I will be able to take her into local hospital, schools, nursing homes, etc. I will be able to book visits around my schedule and when I feel up to it.

After a nine month search, Auggie (a mini Australian Shepherd) joined our family 10 days ago. She has been a blessing. I've been able to get out of my house every day to take her for a short walk, plus attending to her other needs. I haven't been that active in 2 years, and my pain hasn't increased with the activity. Just having her to snuggle with has lifted my spirits.

Best wishes with your search for a service dog. I'm sure someone on here will pop in with their experience.
gigicnm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ERico8 (05-18-2015)