View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Laughter and her holey pie hole ~:-0

Your test results should be in like any day now. If you don't hear from the OS by the end of this week, give them a call.

I just want to say that you have been very fortunate to come upon with OS because he is taken a genuine concern in your case. For him to volunteer what he found during the surgery and to explain it to you.... says a lot about his integrity and his concern for you. So I hope you and your pie hole feel some reassurance that so far, you seem to be in good hands ~

Many nerves are microscopic... as those that are inside of the hundreds of tiny canals inside of each tooth. None of which will show up on a scan of any kind unless there is a huge area of gross pathology attached to them. So it's not a surprise for the nerves that he came upon during this debridement to not be visible on the CT scan. My guess is one of two things. One is that the infectious bacteria had formed a cyst(s) that attached itself to this branch or bundle of nerves and when removing the cyst the nerves were intricately connected to it. Or.... was tooth #18 previously root canaled? If so, then the OS may have found necrotic nerve tissue that had been pushed through the root tip of your tooth during the root canal procedure. Another thing that can occur is inflammation from the infection can irritate and inflame surrounding tissue and nerve bundles which can eventually cause these things to take on a new life of their own. I'm sure if you asked him, he would be more specific about his findings. Or you could request the surgical report.

I am very glad that you are experiencing a decrease in the tingling sensations.... yes that is a good sign and hopefully you will have a complete and healthy recovery from all of this.

The descriptive description of your "slots and and mini caverns" can be scar tissue from the multiple surgeries, incisions and various sutured areas. The gum and lower cheek tissue that has been cut can heal lumpy or smooth... depends on the individual. Some people are more prone to developing scar tissue more so than others. Is the OS concerned about these slots and caverns? What does he say about them for the long term? Generally the gum and cheek tissue calm down as the area heals more thoroughly. There has been a lot of traumatic action in that area of your mouth so I would expect it to be a bit lumpy and uncomfortable for awhile.

Some of the symptoms that you have can also be nerve related which hopefully will go away completely. Does the OS have you on any restrictions with food, oral hygiene, yawning... anything? Has he suggested that you exercise your jaw or that you keep it quiet, so to speak ?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote