View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what about false positives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanpar321 View Post
September 26, 2012 (whatever happened to this?)

With the newly developed method – this involves electrochemical analysis of 10 microliters of blood in just a few minutes – it is possible not only to see a clear difference between individuals with incipient Parkinson's disease and healthy controls but also to measure and establish the advance of the disease with great precision.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-closer-...n-disease.html

I also found this dated March of 2015. I wonder why this isn't top priority, as it sure seems like a simple blood test to diagnose PD would speed up drug developments as a researcher could get fast real time feedback as to how their drug is working! If the density/quantity of alpha synuclein levels directly corresponds to PD this blood test would revolutionize PD diagnosis and research and would seem to minimize the placebo effect that is is strong in PD research! This needs to get fast track status and would be entirely safe as it's just a blood test! It's too bad PD patients aren't in charge of PD research! OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Low cost, minimally invasive blood test with broad potential for future development

This technology is a simple, inexpensive method to diagnose PD or confirm a diagnosis, and has the potential to be further developed to monitor disease progression and the efficacy of novel therapies. Furthermore, because the technology identifies the pathways required for the immune response, it offers researchers new broad targets for drug discovery and facilitates the potential development of patient-specific molecules in a personalized medicine approach to treatment.

http://www.ibridgenetwork.org/columbia/ir_cu14042
I wonder if they have addressed false positives with this? We all know that people who have been diagnosed with PD and been taking PD drugs for years, usually decades, often have no evidence of alpha-synuclein clumps in their brains on autopsy, which means that they are definitively ruled out (post-mortem) as ever having had PD. Yet many people have these same alpha-syn clumps on autopsy and never had a symptom of PD while alive.

What if someone has the "PD blood marker" with this test but no symptoms of PD? That could sure label someone in a bad way. Imagine having a routine blood test and being erroneously told you had PD!

On the flip side, I guess that's a lot better than being told you have PD and you really do
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote