View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
So you bike alot.... that could put pressure on the sacral area, and also the ankles. Both places are prone to compressions.
When you lean forward on the bicycle you place some tension on the wrists. Females seem more prone to compression in the wrist because of the hormone fluctuations and fluid retentions we seem to get. (birth control pills will make this worse).

People don't like it when I suggest changing lifestyle for a while to see if that changes any of the PN symptoms. But really, it does work when the person has been cleared by medical testing which shows little or nothing.

I started with my PN when I was around 30... I am now 68...
I used to do lots of sports (tennis, bowling bike riding), and stand 8+ hrs a day in my job,
and thought it was just stress. But when I became pregnant, it flared so badly, I couldn't do anything with my hands. I had EMGs then and the doctor found I had lost 80% of my hands' motor actions, not to mention the searing burning pain.
It improved some after I delivered, but only responded later to thyroid replacement therapy. That fixed about 80% of it. I can still get flares. I can only do 15 minutes on a recumbent bike, and not do any resistance on my lower legs.

It was pretty insidious... but I naturally stopped doing anything that seemed to aggravate things. I had to stop crochet work permanently to save my hands.

I've found braces help with flares, but I do not strain my hands today and are careful to protect them. The new magnesium lotion by Morton has been very useful too... I sure wish I had it back then when I was such a mess.

That Krav business.. will eventually stress your shoulders also. So be careful with it.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you've been through the mill will all this!

I tried quitting the biking for a while last time this happened. It didnt seem to help at all. The think is I also get tingling in my lips/face...which is the only thing that makes me think its not the biking. Ive been biking to get around for the past 8 years......partially because I cant afford transit. I did suspect the bike too originally. Ive had EMG studies done in my hands and feet...they came back perfect. This leads me to think I have a metabolic issue.
questionmark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote