View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is a link to chickadee nesting types...

I just read in an older (about a year older) Nat Geo magazine that many birds may be endangered or no longer nesting where they do today... by 2050 or later. So I feel those birds in urban environments, need access to fluff as well as food. The main source of fluff is milkweed..which is declining rapidly in the US and affecting the Monarch butterflies which eat its leaves as
larvae. The birds take the fluff for nests too. Monarch butterflies are down to 25% of what they used to be very recently.

The vigorous taking of this fluff I offer, is really a sign that the birds really need it for making their nests for the young. I learned a bit about this from the older cams of Phoebe Allens... that I used to watch from Calif. The owner of that cam explained the need for natural nesting materials that his hummingbirds needed and used in the livestream cam situations. I think it is something that most of us don't think about... how the little birds make their homes for their young, safe and cleaner to result in a healthy new generation.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 05-21-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: fixing date
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-29-2015), EnglishDave (05-20-2015), Lara (05-20-2015)