View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Laughter........

Your OS has performed a lot of oral surgery in his lengthy career and no doubt he's had to repair quite a few "mishaps" over the years. I think he's had more than one patient who required 3 or so surgeries to take care of the original problem but he wants you to be optimistic and he's hopeful that this has taken care of the problem. I agree with you, he is trying very hard and being very diligent with your care. His analogy of dissecting a puzzle is so accurate because that is exactly what he has to do when he goes in to clean up the area and it sounds like he has tried to put you back together as best as he can.

You are right..... this surgeon is cleaning up what the other guy left behind as well as the formation of the new mess caused by the original one. But believe me, he has done this countless of times in his career. I feel badly that you have endured such unnecessary dental trauma and infection but I am SO glad that you did not stick with that original dentist!!

The surgical report is the notes dictated or written by the dentist or his assistant. It gives an accurate and detailed synopsis of the pertinent information pertaining to the procedure. It's a part of your records.

I think it is a good idea to make a journal of this entire experience and it would be helpful to include a daily entry as to what new or different symptoms you are experiencing. Include dates and meds starting from the time it first began because not only will it make some things very clear to you but you may need to reference back to what's taken place at some point in the future. So rather than guess ... just journal it all and keep it with other medical papers.

When you see him in a couple of weeks, you can look at your journal (;-) and explain what has taken place since you last saw him. He will then may be able to offer you some helpful or insightful suggestions.

He wants to avoid going in again, believe me. But he knows how important it is for you to heal completely.

I would not be surprised if you experience some odd discomfort, pain, weird sensations as you go along because there is so much repair going on in that pie hole of yours!! I would not dismiss anything that you feel, I would make note of it in that journal you are keeping (;-) and even make note of when you feel these things. Like when you are talking, chewing, sleeping,,,,,, doing nothing. Be mindful if you are clenching or grinding your teeth as either of those things can cause all sorts of pain in various places in the mouth, jaw, head, neck.....

That tight or pulling feeling that you feel when you move your mouth a certain way could be from the way he had to suture the inside cheek tissue. Pay attention to that and make note (!!) as to the severity of that, even note if you are feeling it less and less or only at certain times. All of this is helpful in understanding what is happening and can be useful information at some point down the road. Not necessarily in a bad way, but in a good way!

Thanks for sharing your dental saga with us and for keeping us informed of your progress. Keep on laughing and no matter what, stay focused on the positive!!

~~~~~ ~'.'~~~~~

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote