View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo3 View Post
I find this confusing, but confess I don't have a scientific background. I read this article to say that reduced Mtor activity is bad, but from outside reading, reduced Mtor activity is good and actually has been shown to increase lifespan. Conversely, increased Mtor activity is linked to several conditions:

" ...MTOR integrates the input from upstream pathways, including insulin, growth factors (such as IGF-1 and IGF-2), and amino acids.[3] mTOR also senses cellular nutrient, oxygen, and energy levels.[11] The mTOR pathway is dysregulated in human diseases, such as diabetes, obesity, depression, and certain cancers.[12] Rapamycin inhibits mTOR by associating with its intracellular receptor FKBP12.[13][14] The FKBP12-rapamycin complex binds directly to the FKBP12-Rapamycin Binding (FRB) domain of mTOR, inhibiting its activity....

MTOR is implicated in the failure of a 'pruning' mechanism of the excitatory synapses in autism spectrum disorders......

Decreased TOR activity has been found to increase life span in S. cerevisiae, C. elegans, and D. melanogaster.[34][35][36][37] The mTOR inhibitor rapamycin has been confirmed to increase lifespan in mice by independent groups at the Jackson Laboratory, University of Texas Health Science Center, and the University of Michigan....."

The above is from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechani...t_of_rapamycin

Wiki has a really good diagram of Mtor which might be worth a look. I find it interesting that there is a glucose and autism link here, as many PWP have a much stronger "startle" reaction than nonPWP.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (05-22-2015), Tupelo3 (05-21-2015)