View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sue,
People with Srojen's syndrome generally have alot of dental problems due to the lack of saliva they have. Our teeth and gums need to constantly bathe in healthy saliva which helps to remove debris, reducing the incidents of decay and gum disease.

There are various products on the market to help restore saliva flow and reduce the irritation to the gum tissue. Have you tried any with much success? One product that I have found that realy seems to help alot is Xylitol. Our patients use Spry products and Xylo~sweet. I have no business affiliation with any company, I just see the positive results with the patients that use these particular products on a daily basis.

Mitral-Valve Prolapse is a Valvular heart condition where one of the heart valves closes improperly and allows regurgitation of the blood. It is a very common condition and there are varying degrees of severity. Not all patients with MVP need to premedicate with antibiotics prior to dental treatment. It depends on the patients particular valvular condition, their overall health and what type of dental procedure they are having done. Patients with MVP should see their cardiologist regularly to monitor their condition so they know what changes (if any) are taking place so precautions can be taken if necessary.

Sue, your fear of the dentist is sooooooooooo common and completely understandable as far as I am concerned! As a child, I had horrible dental experiences and even though I am in the profession.......... I still have my issues with being in the dental chair.

Too many dentists take a patients comfort for granted and make us feel like we are just suppose to subject ourselves to pain and discomfort in the dental chair. It is hard to keep our mouths open while someone is drilling in our head as we are drowning on what feels like gallons of water.......... am I right?? It just takes a little bit of effort and compassion to help a patient feel comfortable.

Many dental offices now offer various "distractions" for the patient like sound proof headphones and overhead screens to watch DVD's or televsion. Patients do really well when they can mentally place themselves someplace else while sitting in the dental chair. Have you tried any of those things?

Hope you can find a way to get past your fear enough to get your dental work done ~'.'~

Bryanna
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote