View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default OH Dear...

Why does a relatively straightforward post end up in an argument, time after time. We end up arguing about nothing. At least, nothing connected to the topic, everything from poor Americans and Rich Europeans, to which countries do the most research. Information we know is copied and pasted by the acre, adding nothing to the subject under discussion. eg
I said,
"dopamine can't pass the BBB, so in our medication, we take levodopa which can penetrate the BBB, and is converted to dopamine in the brain" simply as part of a concise introduction to the concept. I kept it short since I know we all know it.
CTenaLuisse says,
"Levodopa-carbidopa is a combination of two drugs, levodopa and carbidopa. Levodopa-carbidopa is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Parkinson's disease is believed to be related to low levels of dopamine in certain parts of the brain. When levodopa is taken orally, it crosses through the "blood-brain barrier." Once it crosses, it is converted to dopamine. The resulting increase in brain dopamine concentrations is believed to improve nerve conduction and assist the movement disorders in Parkinson disease. Carbidopa does not cross the blood-brain barrier. Carbidopa is added to the levodopa to prevent the breakdown of levodopa before it crosses into the brain. The addition of carbidopa allows lower doses of levodopa to be used. This reduces the risk of side effects from levodopa such as nausea and vomiting. This combination medicine was approved"

Isn't this what I have just said, but in fewer words.
I know all about carbidopa and how it inhibits CO2 breaking off a carboxyl group, this is an argument for the sake of one.
As I said, I don't want an argument, and if we can't have threads where, like in a good debate, we stick to the subject, I don't want a part in it.
Shame, we just can't have a debate, as soon as the arguments start the thread is dead. I give up.
Ron