Thread: Healing MS
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Just giving my thoughts here. I think it's great that there are some people who have been helped by Ann. However, before you lament too much over your sister not following her guide to 'healing', try to understand that many a time things like this cause a placebo effect and not everyone will be 'healed' by it.

Diet and exercise does play a HUGE role in our health, be you a sufferer of MS or a perfectly healthy individual. But for the same token there are far too many variables with in the human genome and environment to suggest one can be 'healed' or 'cured' strictly through diet and positive thinking.

Your sister admitted to a sugar addiction, sugar is (granted not well) known for being an all-natural pain reliever, which might be why your sister became addicted. It's also an emotion booster (happiness in a crystal), and quick and easily absorbed energy. Though the energy boost does come with a crash, sugar has a far more gentle effect on emotional highs than anti-depressants, as well as a gentler off coming than 'traditional' pain relievers.

It's more a wonder that people with MS and similar disorders aren't knocking over Pixi-Stix vendors . As sugar alliviates the majority of our symptoms. But at the same time we all know we can't eat nothing but sugar. And cutting it out (which even the worst diabet still can't do and isn't told to do so by their doctors and nutritionalist) isn't possible either. The body needs sugar, needs fat, needs cholesterol....

So the question starts to become how much of those is "healthy".... Now we're back to spinning our wheels once more, because what might be "healthy" for me, could give some else a heart attack, and still yet starve someone else.

My chelostrol is low, total doesn't even add up to 100, back when I could exercise far more, I was lucky (gorging myself on eggs) if I could get it my total to add up to 50. My iron on the other hand is through the roof, I barely take in any iron, I have to not only completely avoid any fortified foods, but also avoid any iron rich foods, or I get iron poisoning, a multivitamin containing iron sends me to the ER as my body seizes while vomiting blood.

A 2 hour session with someone whose going to 'heal' me through my diet.... Eh.... Maybe if they take tons of blood work, and are registered dietitians that have a doctorate in medical science as well. I have a hard enough time just dealing with my neurologist and family doctor when they tell me what I should and shouldn't eat. The neuro tells me to avoid something and I do, and my family doctor (when I'm going in to see them for the aftermath of following the neuros orders) tells me I was a fool for doing it and I'm lucky I didn't kill myself.

Those are just a few of the hoops I have to jump through in figuring out what to eat, staying and living in the south east, throw me back home to NH for more than a week and the game changes yet again, do it in the winter time and well that's a whole new ball of wax. Winter in NH means an increase in iron (can even take a vitamin with iron), tons more calories, and enough chelostrol to stop the heart of a bull moose! Summertime there means "NO" iron except trace amounts, salt and sugar becomes special treats.

Even splitting the difference and going to OH there's yet another curveball to my dietary needs.

So no I can't obtain a 'diet' or exercise regime from a book, I can't get it through a self-help seminar, and highly doubt I could from a 2 hour one on one. Her 'plan' may work for many people, but it will not work for all people. Like the paleo diet, and even all the numerous pharmaceuticals out there.

Sorry for the length of this post, and I do hope your sister will find something which helps her. She just might have figured out early on that this particular program wasn't going to be it for her.
Kitt (05-26-2015), Kitty (05-26-2015), SallyC (05-26-2015), Snoopy (05-26-2015), TheSleeper (05-26-2015)