View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

After my diagnosis in November, 2014, I was prescribed Albuterol (tablets) for my Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome. My insurance allows me Tier 1 medications at no cost and Albuterol was Tier 1 at that time.

In January when I went to refill the prescription through my mail order pharmacy, I found that instead of being free as it was in November, my copay was now $595! My insurance reclassified Albuterol tablets as Tier 4. It's been brought to my attention that this is how insurance companies compensate for selling higher priced drugs at lower costs -- reclassify cheap drugs so they can recoup some of their costs.

I told my doctor that Albuterol helped, but no way was $600 worth of helpful. He agreed and did a little research and found that Walmart had Albuterol as one of their $4 a month medications and thought I could get a 90-day supply for $12. His office called and checked and because I was taking 3 pills per day instead of 2, they would charge me $15. Let's see -- my insurance wanted $595 or I could go to Walmart and pay outright for $15? No brainer there.

It's a racket for sure. But at least I can still take my medication - at least for now until Walmart changes their mind and starts charging out the butt for it.
Madalot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-23-2015)