View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 12:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT52 View Post
I was two weeks into taking Azathioprine/ Imuran when the abdominal issues kicked off. I came off it while in hospital and then tried, after a two week break to restart last Wednesday. I had a strong instinct that it was the culprit for the abdominal pain even though my pancreas and liver tests showed nothing untoward. I am booked in for a Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal by keyhole surgery) in early July.

So I ended up with such terrible vomiting and pain an hour after taking the
Imuran last week that the doctor had to come to my house and inject diamorphine and anti emetic in the bottom!

Even then my doctors didn't want to blame Imuran as my monitoring bloods had been okay and my CRP was down to 6.7 but ESR slowly continuing to rise so RA/ inflammatory process was out of control. The peripheral neuropathy and jaw pain were the worst they have ever been to date and stomach issues had eased.

All the while I felt exhausted and dizzy to the point of unable to walk downstairs let alone work or help my son with exam preps or my husband with cooking or housework.

So I agreed with some trepidation to take Imuran again the next day and within about four hours was doubled up with the original pain. No vomiting this time. All night my entire body was gripped with one sort of pain or another - only the top of my head was exempt!

Next day the stomach pain eased and I decided this was the end for me and Imuran, whatever the doctors said, so I took my prescribed cocktail of Tramadol, Paracetamol, Ranitidine and newly reintroduced Codeine and went to sleep. When I woke I felt fuzzy and the side of my face had gone numb and my entire left side was weak to the point of near paralysed. I thought I might be having a stroke so the doctor was called once more.

He agreed I should stay off Imuran and felt I might be suffering from understandable anxiety with these multiple symptoms but had me re-admitted to hospital - this time for a possible stroke so I was under a medical consultant rather than the surgeon. And this is a tiny community hospital in a remote part of Scotland so the chances of finding anyone to unravel my complex case wasn't very good.

But I hit the jackpot at last and was seen by a consultant nephrologist who really knew her stuff. She kept me in under watchful gaze for five nights having immediately recognised that this wasn't a stroke but something far more strange. My CRP was up at 160 and my ESR had risen into the 70s and yet no sign of infection or visible inflammation at all - just a moderately raised white blood cell count and platelets and amylase and blood in urine - which they felt could be a mixture my reaction to Imuran and constipation from Codeine. I was put on proper doses of laxative for this. By Monday morning the conclusion she and another locum consultant came to was that the gallbladder, Imuran, constipation etc were all issues that had distracted from the main problem - which is my autoimmunity is presently soaring, unchecked.

Sorry this is so very long but I know that some of you have followed my story and would be very grateful for your advice on what to focus on with the neurologist under these circumstances.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh No !!! So very sorry to read your story. Note that I have copied part of what you wrote; this is because of my history with Imuran.

Several years ago I took Imuran for one of my other health conditons/diseases/whatver you want to call it - which is Myasthenia Gravis, also known to some as MG.

The side effect I had from Imuran was acute pancreatitis. I became SEVERELY ill. SEVERELY. No details needed for this group. Note that acute pancreatitis is also a recognized possible side effect of Imuran.

When I became so out of sight ill, I was taken off Imuran; however remained on steroid (prednisone) therapy for the MG, and eventually I started taking Cellcept.

I now have chronic pancreatitis; occasional bouts. Chronic pancreatis can occur after one has an attack of Acute Pancreatitis. It is painful and exacerbates my myasthenia gravis weakness. I am monitored constantly for other potential issues related to this problem.

By the way; a disclaimer; I am not a drinker. Well - occasionally, in the past, perhaps I drank once or twice a year - at a wedding, and that was only a sip from a drink with alcohol. I say this because pancreatitis and neuropathy can often be the result of heavy (alcoholic type) drinking, and alcohol has never been one of my favorite beverages. Also, MG does not do well with alcohol.

I am not in the medical profession; but I would say to you, if you were my family or friend, that you might highly consider avoiding Imuran!!!

My heart goes out to you; I truly understand having numerous complicated and very painful and life-changing and life challenging health issues.

Stay on track, keep persistent in trying to get answers and keep as positive an attitude as you can. Sigh......I know that can be difficult.

How I do wish and hope that I or we or the doctors or Someone in the Universe could soon ease or take your pain away completely.

Good luck.
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote