View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Interesting because many people who developed ALS have been on statins and among common symptoms they experiences while on these drugs were foot drop. Of course, difficulty swallowing is among ALS symptoms...
There has been an increase of ALS I'm very sure. I used to never hear about it, now I know several who died from it, people I only met once like inlaws to inlaws and the such. Glad no one closer had gotten it. But it is really weird how many get it but maybe it is me who has aged and mix more with older people and notice it more?

The doctor of my friend thinks it is fine my friend cannot walk and says it is because of obesity. But in the past he COULD walk, it was just that because his weight it made his back hurt a lot, still he could. Now he can't. Doc does not see the difference between not wanting to walk because of pain and not being able to walk. He can walk about ten steps now. Then he has no more muscle strength. Maybe it is just lack of practice, I don't know...

I'm also worried since he gotten into very bad food habits. It is like if he eats the identical thing every day at least he has some chance of recognizing what he ate. If it really becomes ingrained. I don't think it helps his case though. Not eating anything fresh or varied. It is all processed.

Before I realized he was on statins I was convinced he had Korsakoff's dementia because of never getting any nutrients. Now I don't think so anymore but if I was wrong once, I can be wrong about the statins as well. Maybe he is perfectly healthy and this is just an effect of old age (he is in his 50s).

He is starting to fall back on things he did 15 years ago, he likes them better and talks about memories from then. It is like his memory loss was only a few years back and then that span grew and grew. He feels safe in what existed 15 years ago because he remembers it. In that way maybe it sounds more like classic dementia?

But oh well, I'm not the doctor. I just cannot fathom how doc thinks his fine and family thinks he is fine that he is just lazy and nuisance but not ill. Don't they remember how he was in the past? I'm confused about how people can be so deep in denial. I'm pretty sure he does not ruin things on purpose as the family thinks he does, or just being sloppy about things. It seems like he just doesn't have the same control over his body anymore.

Sorry babbling again. I guess this forum might not be about mindless babbling, doesn't help anything, but I don't know what I can do practically.

I actually snapped at him today because he chatted with someone he found repetitive. I didn't say it clearly but I wanted to say it, that I have listened to him say the same thing day after day for about 1000 days now.

Blah sorry. Frustrated.
fadetoblack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote