View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi wpclark,

You mentioned that the oral surgeon is 2 hours away. Did you actually see him for a post operative visit or did he just diagnose the infection over the phone?

The incisions that he made to gain access to the lower wisdom teeth will take time to heal. But if there is an infection, that may delay or prevent the areas from healing. I also wonder if you are over rinsing with the peridex. That rinse is very harsh and should not be used more frequently than as prescribed. If you irrigate too often, that will interrupt the natural healing process because those chemicals kill not only bad, but good bacteria as well. Salt water rinsing is really ideal because it does not kill good bacteria and it aids in the healing. Just rinse with it 3-4 times a day and no more.

Based on your description of the events that have taken place to date, it would be wise to have the oral surgeon take a look at the surgical sites and evaluate the situation. If you cannot travel to his office, perhaps he will refer you to someone closer to your home that will see you for the evaluation. It would be helpful if the oral surgeons were to discuss your case ahead of time so the new one that you see will have been given a verbal synopsis of the surgery that was done.

Regarding the tylenol.... I believe 3000 mgs daily is the maximum dosage that is currently being prescribed for severe pain. However, I think that dosage is only meant for short term usage as tylenol is highly toxic to the liver. A pharmacist could help you with that information better than I can.

I don't think it's wise to just keep taking the tylenol and wait this thing out. If it were me, I would get in to see an oral surgeon to evaluate everything.

Please check back with us when you can.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote