View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisongrrl View Post
And it's also good to remember that we aren't our genetics (except those that have something like Huntington's disease or are at risk for Huntington's disease - it is gene defect). Diseases are often complicated and multi-factorial; diseases express when our genetics and environment interact. So we just have to do our best to take charge of our environment by living the healthiest lifestyle we can.
Yes, I wholeheartedly believe this, especially in the case of Alzheimer's. I'm fortunate to not have inherited the APOE4 variant from my mom which increases risk, but I'm not "resting on my laurels" of that genetic good fortune as it's just one of many involved genes.

And lifestyle of course plays a huge role too. I'm infinitely more active both physically and mentally than Mom was, and intend to keep it that way. With preliminary research showing possible ties between AD and glucose issues, it's all the more reason to carefully watch my diet and have good glucose management which is what I've been doing anyway.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote