View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Luke92,

Generally when a dental implant is placed, the pre surgical preparation to place an upper implant only requires and incision along the bottom flat portion of the gum. Then that incision is gently spread open and gently peeled back just a a bit from the bone for visibility and access of the implant drill. Generally there is no other major incisions to flap back the other areas of the gum tissue as you had done to extract that tooth. So the recession along the gum line of the adjacent teeth should not change once those areas are healed from the tooth extraction. You may or may not have some recession occur around the neck or abutment of the implant. It just depends on the surgery and how your body responds to it.

The esthetic goal is to make the margins of the gum line look esthetically natural so as to not be able to tell the implant crown from you natural teeth.

I hope I have explained that okay. If not, let me know.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote