View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I was diagnosed in early 2002.
i only use free weights and stretchy bands for my upper body along with pushups, curls, etc.
did have a "total gym" from chuck norris and it was ok, can't remember why i sold it. i think it was because i had joined a gym. a used one shouldn't be that expensive.

my stationary recumbent wore out, instead of fixing it bought a stationary trainer attachment for my road bike for about $175 and that does work out your upper body somewhat but obviously not as comfortable as a recumbent, easier to go faster on than a recumbent though.

i also use a xiser portable stair stepper, 5minutes "running" on that is exhausting. they're not cheap but worth a look. not in stores, can only buy on the internet. certainly easier on the joints than running on pavement or treadmill.

me thinks your dr, is exaggerating a bit but i agree exercise is essential with or without pd. i was an exercise junkie when i was diagnosed and played soccer 3 years after my diagnosis, took meds when i needed them rather than on a schedule the 3rd year after diagnosis. after a game my pd symptoms were greatly reduced for a few hrs, mostly mental improvement. a mistake i made was reducing my exercising rather than adding more meds, for some reason when i got charlie horses during a soccer game i stopped playing rather than add meds, dumb, i did start progressing faster after stopping the vigorous exercise, can't prove it was from cutting back on exercise.

waiting for exercise in a pill.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (06-02-2015), lab rat (06-02-2015), rancherwoman (06-02-2015)