View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Methylfolate dosage questions for mrsD

Very briefly, my situation is that I am supplementing daily with 5000 mcg of oral methylcobalamin for a demyelinating condition. My blood tests showed I was low in B12 but high in folate.

I’ve been reading about the MTHFR mutation that you’ve mentioned on other threads. I haven’t been tested genetically for it, as my neurologist didn’t think it was necessary, but I’m thinking it may be safer to assume I have it and begin with methylfolate supplementation.

Right now I am taking 400 mcg of folic acid daily which is included in my multivitamin. I’ve read elsewhere that 400 mcg is the maximum dosage a person should take because of the possibility that high doses of folic acid may lead to cancer. I’m assuming that there is no such 400 mcg limitation on the amount of methylfolate that can be consumed safely, is this correct?

Would you have a recommendation on how much methylfolate is reasonable for me to take daily along with my 5000 mcg of methylcobalamin and 400 mcg of folic acid? I’m thinking of buying the Solgar brand of methylfolate, and iHerb now carries it in doses of 400, 800, or 1000 mcg.

My concern with dosages is that I want to take enough methylfolate to make the methylcobalamin effective, but not so much that I could develop a folate overdose.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Auntie Audrey; 06-03-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Auntie Audrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote