View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Folic acid itself is not active.... it has to be methylated in the body.

But there are some papers suggesting that folic acid floating around in the blood will compete for methylfolate at the blood brain barrier (BBB). This has not been 100% verified, but the MTHFR experts suggest avoiding folic acid. This is discussed at MTHFR.net.

It is quite common for folate to test high when B12 is low. This is called the methyl trap... which is complex to understand.
The biggest danger is having extra folate supplements when B12 is low because they mask the nerve damage because of the B12 lack. This is why 1mg or more of folic acid is RX. Deplin is RX and methylfolate approved by the FDA for depression...so that is certainly higher than any supplemental need.
Metanx -- the RX neuropathy formula has 3mg of methylfolate in each tablet/capsule.

I usually suggest 800mcg of Methylfolate tops to go with the methylcobalamin. We have seen on the PN forum people who come here have failed to get adequate help from doctors, and those who decided to do the 23andme DNA testing have all come back with various mutations in COMT and MTHFR.

If you continue with your multivit... space it away from any methylfolate. This might reduce competition at the BBB. That is all I can offer. Our food in the US is also fortified...so you get folic acid that way too. At this time, it is unclear just how important this competition is.

The methylfolate (MetaFolin by Solgar) doesn't have any food restrictions like the B12 does...so you can take it any time of the day.

I find myself highly stimulated by methylfolate...so I cannot take it every day... or I do NOT sleep! I take it once or twice a week. But I have not seen others complain about this.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote