View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi and so sorry to hear your story. I had (pre-TOS) an unnecessary and unwanted c-section with my first, worked hard and ended up changing to a midwife (at 36 weeks!) with my second, and had a minimal pain-relief, vaginal birth second try. It was important to me because there weren't any medical reasons for me NOT to have a regular birth.

In this situation though, you may want to consider, as some Moms actually develop TOS for the first time during birth, due to strain on the plexus during pushing. If you're already dealing with high pain, you may want to avoid a prolonged pushing phase, or hard, intense pushing that is often the case when induced. Either will further aggravate the brachial plexus.

I'm sorry as this may not be what you want to hear, but since I can now compare the two, I wd take the c-section any day over increasing the TOS pain level, because I know the surgical pain will go away in a couple of weeks.
And you need those arms as healthy and rested as possible to cuddle that sweet little one.

Of course you should discuss this with your family and Dr, just wanted to share my thoughts.

We had a gal here who became a Mom a while back, and I THINK she scheduled a c-section - but can't swear to it. Wylie, you still hanging out in the ether somewhere? Come in, come in, olly olly oxen free! (Now I'm really dating myself!)

Try to keep the arm elevated as much as possible, propping it on pillows when sitting down, sticking your hand in a pocket or thumb in a belt loop when standing. Take frequent breaks, change positions, do gentle stretchesof neck or arm, one side at a time. Don't reach above eye level, move things down to within reach. Replace heavy items with plastic. When you notice pain start to increase, STOP! Call it a day - the rest can wait til tomorrow. Working on through the pain will keep the nerves aggravated and hypersensitive.

Treat yourself gently. Relax and stay calm as possible. You might ask about aquatherapy, it would feel great while pregnant, and was the only PT I could tolerate at one point. It may give you some pain relief. Massage is another option perhaps - discuss all your options with your Dr, ok?

Best wishes,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote