View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Possible infection under root canal treatment. What to do?

Hi, this is my first post on this website. I have previously looked though the forums and wanted some specific advice for my own situation so sorry if it is a repeat of a previous thread, I haven't had time to read them all.

Approx 4 years ago I had a crack in a filling in my bottom right 5th tooth. The dentist removed the filling then proceeded to inform me I needed a root canal filling and crown. I tried this using local anaesthetic at the dentist but was unable to bear the pain - the anaesthetic did not take after several attempts. Long story short I am now terrified of the dentist and now have sedation for everything except check ups.

I had the root canal treatment completed and a crown placed via sedation.

Approx 2 and 1/2 years ago the crown post snapped and I had it removed and a semi permanent filling placed on top. Due to me needing sedation it took about 7months for my referral to go through. By this point I had developed an infection in the gum/tooth which was causing a lot of pain. I got rid of the infection eventually after a couple doses of antibiotics.

My dentist refused to do another crown for me after seeing the infection and told me to have it removed. I changed dentist and they have referred my for sedation again. I got asked if I have had any more infections since the first one. At the time I had not and I am due to have the crown re-dun in 5 weeks time.

The semi permanent filling on my tooth has completely worn down, and I have pain on the gums around my tooth. Additionally, there is a small raised bump on the lower part of my gum. Is it okay for me to get another crown done or do I have to have it removed. If it is removed what can be done? Because I don't want a gap in my teeth.

Any comments appreciated, Thanks.
cjwilko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote