View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you guys. I'm definitely going to bring this with me to discuss with my PCP. Hoping she might have some light to shed on the issue. I'm pretty good at dealing with life's curveballs, but a bad experience with a few therapists when I was a kid, kinda raises my hackles when thinking of going to one.

I'm sure part of that can be chalked up to the MS as I was likely suffering from symptoms when I was a child and was for the most part treated like a hypochondriac. So when the doctor started being unable to explain away pains and illness, it was off to the shrinks who questioned in depth if my parents were abusive, trying to trip me into saying they were.

When that didn't work they switched tactics to accusing me of self-mutilation, trying anything they could think of for me to blame like bullies at school (laughable since I was more likely to be accused of bullying rather than the other way around), sexual molestation was a particular favorite theory of one shrink and for a child who had not been molested, his line of questioning was quite creepy and a bit disturbing to my twelve year old self.

I got kicked out of most of the offices for being "uncooperative". And can only be thankful I was never placed in foster care, especially by the one shrink who leaned quite heavily on the abuse button. I have never like to be touched, never had the "hug" reflex I guess you could call the skinship many people seem to have. But that was present in infancy, remarked upon by the nurses my first day in he hospital.

I know the therapists I saw were in all likelihood total quacks. Just like I know therapists have provided much needed services to many people. But for me, it'll be an absolute last resort. If the PCP and neuro can't figure out what the trigger is and I still can't figure it out myself, and it gets much worse....then....maybe I'll see a therapist, and hopefully won't get another "uncooperative" file
LoveCats (06-06-2015), tkrik (06-05-2015)