View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cjwilko,

The bump on the gum is called a fistula. This occurs when a tooth has been infected for a long time and the bacteria has spread from the tooth into the bone. The fistula is similar to a pimple that forms on your skin except the infection is not just at the gum, it is in the tooth and the jaw bone. The antibiotics that you took did not cure the infection, they just temporarily subsided the inflammation and symptoms. The fistula is clear evidence of that.

It is understandable to not want to lose your tooth. But unfortunately the only means of getting rid of the infection is to remove the source of the infection which is the tooth. Crowning this tooth will not have any favorable outcome because the infection is brewing deep inside of the tooth in places that cannot be cleaned out.

It would behoove you to talk to your dentist about replacement options so that when the tooth is removed you will be able to proceed with replacing it.

I know you are scared, but you will be okay. The oral surgeon can give you a little sedation to remove the tooth and you will be fine.

Please let us know how you're doing........

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-23-2015)