View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Denial or privacy?

Hi. Recently, I got involved in a psychological argument with a close relative of mine about the process of assimilating a tragedy or an unhappy event. This person said the first step is denial, then it follows a period of assimilation and finally, the period of acceptance.

I said to him that when I was diagnosed PD about 6 1/2 years ago, I did not complain. Neither I asked: Why me? I only asked to myself how I should deal with this disease in order to slow down progression and not to affect my style of living or at least minimize any potential future limitation on a day to day basis through physical exercise, nutrition and good sleep; in addition to medication and updated information about the disease.

But then I added I do not like to be seen by strangers during my "off" periods (stiffness). He said that is so because I deny my disease. I argued it is a matter of privacy. Only my dearest family members and friends know about my disease (or probably other people already know but pretend they do not know). I added, to defend my point of view: why is it that people wear sunglasses when they have conjunctivitis in their eyes? I emphasized: "They do not want to be seen with that infection". Or why is it that we do not like to be seen exactly as we look like by strangers as soon as we wake up?

The fact I do not want to be seen in my "off" periods is a lack of acceptance or denial or it is something normal? What do you think about it?

Best regards,

Lobo
lobo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote