View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have heard constant, frequent tapping and other manipulation of a single tooth can damage the Trigeminal nerve. I suspect this may be what happened to me. I went to the dentist with no pain at all and after a lot of excessive work, ended up with a lot of pain in the area. My pain is usually a constant boring pain from my jaw into my ear. It is sometimes, but rarely sharp. Just constant and maddening. Sadly, for me, the pain did not stop, although I suspect that very recently after three years it is a teeny tiny bit better. I think for some people, it does get better and even goes away or practically goes away. My neurologist was able to help me. I had to try a lot of different medications before finding something that helps. My diagnosis originally was atypical Trigeminal neuralgia, but I think it's been changed slightly. Very generally speaking, the two meds that seem to help the most for this pain are Gabapentin and a Tricyclic medication like Elavil, often together. But, everyone is different. And you likely need a good evaluation by a dentist AND a neurologist. Again, many people get better in time, it just might take a long while. After three years I definitely still require medication and still react badly to triggers (very cold weather, very windy weather, vibrations...like car travel, etc.) but, I am grateful to have more control of this monster. With a good doctor, good medications and time, I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. I use a compounded cream, which is different than most folks...you can look at my old posts or pm me for more details. Good luck and good thoughts for swift improvement.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote