Old 06-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Audrey View Post
mrsD, thank you for your very quick reply! I’ve been thinking about using topicals, and I may try the Morton’s Epsom lotion. I’ve gotten some relief from muscle twitches in my leg from using Aspercreme. I know this is an old product, but it has been effective in helping me with muscle inflammation.

NOW has a product called “magnesium citrate softgels” On the label, it says that the amount per serving is 400 mg of “magnesium (from magnesium citrate, magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate.” I’m assuming this product actually contains 400 mg of elemental magnesium. Is this correct?
I don't think so..... how big are the softgels? About an inch?
or smaller. The 1000mg magnesium malate tablets are humongous... almost an inch long. And in all that room is only 150mg of elemental.

Some labels really have confusing wording. If the word elemental is not there, I don't assume what is listed is referring to the mag portion. I called a maker once who listed several forms of mag in their product... and they could not tell me how much of each. I don't trust those mixes therefore...they buy the cheapest they can get.

The main reason magnesium oxide remains common today in supplements is that the magnesium portion is 40%.... elemental.
This allows for smaller tablets, easy to swallow. But no one for decades tested absorption, and so they are relatively useless now we know. Phillips uses it in its laxative product however.
The oxide form does not ionize (come apart) in the GI water filled tract... it remains insoluble, so does not get into the blood at all.

So the SIZE of the product can be a hint as to what is in it.
There can be a lot of tiny details people need to know to successfully use supplements.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote