View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ah, well, just lost a nice long reply to cyber space.

*sigh*

RM- I might really take Beth's comments regarding c section to heart. Surgical pain will go away, complcations of TOS may not. And in any case, the after C-section pain meds will help your TOS pain Nothing like efficiency of medicine.

My third baby is 22 months old and i got my TOS when i injured myself just after she was born. Of course you are aware your connective tissue is super limber in there right now and that will only get worse as you get closer to delivery. Well, I was just doing yoga- straining MUCH less than i did in childbirth, and here i am a year later, just had surgery number 1 of two....and am out of work on disability and can't sit in a chair for more than half hour or so.

I don't hold my kids any more than absolutely neccessary, i always change the little one on the floor, i sit on the floor with them all the time to avoid lifting them to where i am (although that is not always good for your posture)

However, this thread is for what to do for YOU the here and NOW....I do not know if you are allowed to get botox during pregnancy? My doctor has done botox injections for me (and there are some others around here) to relax the scalene, trapezius, and pectoralis major and minor muscles. It offers great relief for about 6 week at a time. It is expensive, but insurance will often cover it. Best of all, it does offer pain relief without systemic drugs. Like I said, though, not sure about doing it during pregnancy. I did it while I was nursing, so i know that's OK..

ALSO, look for a hellerworker, chiropractor, a good PT or osteopath, and/or massage therapist who can do manipulations, myofascial release, and/or ultrasound. These modalities can really help you feel better, even if only for a short while, and will help you get through this period where you don't want to be taking medicine.

You can ask yuor doctor to prescribe a TENS of Interferential stimulator for you as well, those little guys can offer some great pain relief. Try one out with your PT or Chiro before purchase to see if it works for you.

Focused relaxation....you may already be working on this for childbirth, use it for your TOS pain , too....get an ipod and associate your relaxing with a particular song.

My other suggestion is for after- you must get a very very good nursing pillow if you intend to nurse. Holding baby in that nursing position is terrible for your arms when you don't have TOS, with it, you will do yourself some major harm. You will need something with more support than a boppy, I think. I sure did. Also, my symptoms were always worse when the girls were full, so be preapared for that. I still managed to keep it up for 20 months with my last baby, so you can defintely do it...but please be good to yourself!!!

I'll keep thinking, just getting out of baby mode myself, as I quit nursing a few months ago and have just had a left rib resection. RIght rib resection still to come in the next few months. *sigh* then hoping to get down to the business of getting better.

Preagnancy and nursing are such a beautiful part of your life and your baby's. I definitely had a feeling i was waiting to really take care of the TOS while i waited for her to finish nursing, but it was important to me to let her go for as long as she needed. You can definitely get through this...OK?

*hugs*

Johanna

johannakat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote