View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi cjwilko,

If the infection has spread to the jaw bone, then the first important step is to remove the source of the infection which is the tooth. The second important step is done at the same time as the extraction and that is the removal of the periodontal ligament and any diseased tissue and bone. To leave the ligament and disease in the jaw, means to keep the infection. Due to the vascularity of the mouth and jaw bone the bacteria that resides in the mouth and the jaw bone also resides in the blood stream.

So to answer your question, the extraction of the tooth along with a thorough debridement of the bone is crucial in eradicating the infection. Antibiotics would be prescribed to reduce inflammation and attack any microscopic remnants of bacteria. If the infection has been present in the bone for a long period of time, and this time frame differs from one person to another as does the health of their immune system, then it can be difficult to eradicate the infection completely. So it is imperative to respectfully but assertively request that the oral surgeon perform a very thorough extraction and bone debridement.

For informational purposes.... to keep the tooth means to keep the infection because the source of the infection is the tooth. An example would be a splinter of wood deeply embedded in your finger. You can apply all sorts of topical salves and medicament's to that area and none of them will the reach the splinter. You can ingest all sorts of antibiotics and therapeutic herbs and supplements, none of them will have curable benefits simply because the source of the infection, the splinter, is still present.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AH2015 (08-27-2015)