View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

This subject is complex. One can not just make narrow judgements about anxiety and TBI. Unfortunately, many health professionals try to.

Yes, anxiety can make TBI symptoms worse. But, TBI can seriously reduce the brains tolerance for stress resulting in anxiety. In some, this anxiety reaction can be completely random without a recognizable trigger. This causes doctors to comment that the problem is anxiety due to psychological causes.

Plus, anxiety can be self-perpetuating. A small amount of anxiety due to a frustrating symptom can be recognized and become an almost obsession. This causes the anxiety to increase magnifying the perception of that symptom.

Some times, a symptom is minor to the extend that in a normal situation, it would just be ignored as a minor inconvenience or not even noticed. But, once that symptom is connected to TBI, one can get focused on it and obsess about it. The TBI brain often struggles with obsessive thought and rigidity of thought. This means, it can be difficult to ignore a thought or even change ones mind about that issue. Some will find help from CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy). In CBT, the therapist helps the patient redirect the thought process when a negative or obsessive thought pops up.

For me, it is often a situation of: Something triggers a symptom. I recognize the symptom and often the trigger. Rather than get caught up in frustrating thought about the symptom, I accept that the symptom was triggered. Then, I convert that thought to : OK, I triggered this symptom. It will probably take x minutes for my brain to settle down if I do 'such and such.'

The important point is recognizing the symptom is real and will go away or reduce. Then, I take steps to help that symptom go away. Sometimes, I can not reduce the symptoms but I can move forward with an activity and ignore the symptom. We all need to learn our own tolerances and ways to redirect our thoughts.

When you read about people who succeed despite serious restricting factors, often they have found ways to keep moving forward. It might mean a student needs twice as much time to complete a degree. Or, someone needs to invent processes to get a task done that can not be done by normal processes.

I have a friend who has been a paraplegic since she was 11. Her parents tried to use leg braces and crutches so she could walk. Finally, she said enough. She quickly mastered living in a wheelchair and got on with her life. She graduated high school. Got married. Had a son who is now in college.

She lives a full life. Sure, she has her struggles but she adapts and moves forward.

I'm sure most of us know someone who has met similar challenges and moved on with their life.

For us, our challenges are with how our brain process and reacts to information and stimulation, etc. We can find ways to keep moving forward. Not every symptom can be cured nor needs to be cured to move forward with life.

We have support than many do not have. This should help us move forward.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote