View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Caroline 2:
I see a rheumatologist who wants me to go on one of the meds for osteoporosis. At the moment, I am refusing the medication. My gut feeling about these meds is that they have a purpose, but likely are being used too frequently. I think the risk of jaw bone necrosis is very real and very dangerous.

I have a good bone density score, but I have a small fracture in my spine. I had taken prednisone for many years over a decade ago. The rheumatologist has much concern about this fracture. I sometimes have pain in this area.

I spoke with this same rheumatologist about what vitamins I might take. I specifically mentioned vitamin K. Keep in mind that this is a very well respected doctor, who is very kind.

He told me calcium, magnesium and maybe vitamin D. He specifically said he didn't know anything about K2 being of help.

I also see a doctor who is learning more and more about Functional Medicine, although his specialty is in another area. For now, he is having me take two tablets of something called "Bone Up." The recommended dosage of this supplement is 3 a day, but I also take a good multi and other meds duplicating some of the same ingredients, particularly the calcium. So, for now, I take two of the Bone Up, instead of the three. Not perfect, but doing what I can for now.

I will meet with him again to re-evaluate my meds. Bone Up, to the best of my knowledge, is designed to help prevent/slow down osteopororis.
http://www.jarrow.com/product/586/Bone-Up

I hope I can find out more info. about Strontium. Not sure if I have spelled that right. What have you learned about this supplement and why do you take it? Did your bone density tests come back better after taking it?
I'm just beginning my research into it and will ask the Functional Med. doctor, next time I see him.
Also, what do you think are the best exercises for a straight back/good posture? When you say "weight baring," do you mean literal weights, or are you referring to walking, etc.? I am noticing a very slight bend, esp. on my left side. I'm considering seeing a PT. Thank you. Im in my mid fifties, have lots of autoimmune issues, nerve pain, migraines...just "stuff."
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...name=strontium
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote