View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM
N/A

8 yr Member
N/A

8 yr Member

I think over the years there has been a little bit too much focus on calcium for bone health. It is pretty easy to get a lot of calcium in the diet.

There are other importants vitamins and minerals involved in bone formation and maintanence. Strontium, Boron, Vitamin K2, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Selenium, and Zinc are very important.

There are also many phytochemicals, other nutrient molecules, and certain fats found in foods that have been associated with better bone health.

Probably for the last 8 yrs or so I've not taken more than 500mg calcium per day, most days it's 350-500mg, some days I skip calcium. But I do take all the above mentioned.

I had been seeing an integrative rheumy after hip replacement as I had so many issues and she helped me with acupuncture, mesotherapy... she and I almost got into it as she was pushing me to take more calcium...I would not back down.

My very close friend takes no calcium and another friend ended up with calcium deposits on her thyroid since her HMO doc told her Tums were good for her to "suck on" for her calcium....bad advice...this friend ended up with thyroid removal as she trusted these HMO docs. She came to the conclusion the thyroid should NOT have been removed. Question docs!! I have learned MORE from health groups than ever from doctors.
caroline2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vowel Lady (06-09-2015)