View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Why not get your insulin in a vial in the first place?

The flex pens are just for convenience.

I thought the needles for the pens were covered by Medicare part D or supplemental plans?

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page....=7002&id=19007
I thought so too. But they want $33.00 for the pen needles. That was last year. It seemed simpler to just get them online from ADW (whatever the initials are). the thing with the FlexTouch is that you can leave it outside on the table. Vials have to be stored in the fridge.

When Alan was in the hospital I could carry the pen around. The pen makes it more convenient but I pay $19.00 for a box of 100 pen needles. with all the syringes I have in the house, before I have to buy another box of pen needles I figured I could use these syringes. And I have two more boxes of Flex Touch pens in my fridge so I'm good for awhile with the insulin.

But my insurance company really screwed me up bad by telling me that because I have EPIC, once I hit the deductible of $600 (all my prescription co-pays), EPIC would take over. Not the case. EPIC is not counting my $225 layout for my insulin since January because I got my insulin through mail order (being doing this for years). They only count your copay if you bought your drugs from a New York Based pharmacy. I asked this question last year at the meeting of all the people who are on my insurance plan. I made sure to ask that question. And I was told "Absolutely, once you have paid the deductible EPIC takes over". I have appealed this, made complaints, all to no avail. This is what I told the rep of my insurance plan over the phone last week (because I just found out I have to lay out over $250 toward my next insulin purchase).

I said "You better believe that in November when you have the next meeting of all of us to discuss the changes that will come in 2016, you better believe I'm going to stand up and rake all of you over the coals for lying to me.". The rep said "You wouldn't do that would you?" I said "Watch me". then I said "I will probably change insurance companies"

She had no response because EPIC IS WHAT EPIC IS. I would never have continued to get my insulin from an online pharmacy (even though it's through my insurance) if I had been told "you have to buy it from a New York Pharmacy for EPIC to kick in"

So anyway, what's the verdict? Can I do what this guy did in the video. I'm pretty good with stuff like that. My hands are steady and I can absolutely follow what he did.

So I just wanted to make sure that the insulin in the Flex pen is the exact same insulin in the vials. So if I take 10 units in the a.m. I would just take a syringe, do what the guy did and I'd be good to go.

Is this do-able?

Thanks Mrs. D

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote