View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Did my son have a seizure caused by food dyes?

Last week my son started acting weird, not making any sense and doing some very odd things. We decided to take him to Children's Mercy and while there he couldn't answer simple questions like what grade is he going into, and does he have brothers. They kept him for 3 days. About 6 hours after getting him started on an IV, where he was needing to urinate every 20 minutes... he was back to himself. All of the toxicalogy tests came back clean, so they decided it wasn't something he had ingested. I asked if it could have been food dyes. We have been off of food dyes and sugar for about six months, but decided to ease off of the restrictions a little for VBS. He had skittles and a bomb pop, although, he did not eat any of his red skitttles. The doctor who saw him doesn't believe the food dyes could have anything to do with this. Although, the tech that ran his EEG said it was common to see food dyes be the cause of seizures where he used to work in New York City. The doctors' best guesses are that he had a a seizure and that's why he acted that way. My son can't remember that day. He recalls a few dreams that are similar to things that happened, but to him they were dreams. How do I find a doctor that acknowledges that the toxic dyes can cause this type of thing? But not someone who is just going to say that is what happened without digging into it. And does this sound like a seizure to you guys? Especially one caused by food dyes?
gdsjoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote