View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think a large part of small bump sensitivity is anxiety and such. The bump may cause a real physiological reaction momentarily but this momentary reaction triggers the psychological reaction. I think the sustained reaction is due to the cascade of stress chemicals in the brain made worse by the anxiety.

I don't have anxiety about the bumps. I am very easily startled and this can cause symptoms but they usually only last a few hours. I used to have a reaction to bumps with a self comment, " I'm going to pay for that." Once said, I just moved ahead. Usually I did not 'pay for that.'

I think a large part of recovery is learning how to live with our symptoms without stressing out. This limits the psychologically caused cascade of chemicals. A rehab professional who spoke at our brain injury support group stressed that this is an important attitude. When we learn to live with our symptoms, we often end up minimizing them to the point they are ignorable.

My brain can easily get caught ruminating or persevering. I was on an SSRI for 14 years to reduce this. I am now off the SSRI and take 5-HTP (100 mgs), L-Theanine (200 mgs) and L-Tryptophan (100 mgs) to help my brain maintain the neurotransmitters that reduces this perseveration tendency.

I also know how to redirect my thoughts. The perseveration can become mentally exhausting and I know it MUST be avoided. So, I have replacement thoughts I can switch to. It is like my mind is a juke box with some records that are scratched and like to repeat. When they start playing, I switch to a different record. I often use Christian hymns as replacements. I also have a short prayer that I say in my mind.

For some, it may take an audible effort. Finding that song or such to sing without annoying others is tricky. But, the verbal expression can impact the brains thought patterns more strongly that just thinking the thought. When the ears hear the replacement thought, that thought seems to be processed more seriously.

I rarely wake up in a bad way. I am a very disciplined sleeper. For me, my neck can cause problems with sleep apnea so good sleeping posture is paramount.

All this to say that it takes personal discipline with thoughts to reduce the severity and frequency of these relapses. Proper brain nutrition also makes a difference so discipline with that is important.

We each need to find our own ways to be disciplined. It can be tough but it is worth it. Some may needs a therapist with expertise with CBT, Cognitive Behavior Therapy to help load the juke box with good replacement thoughts.

My best to you all. I know this is a struggle.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote