View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Elna,

So glad to hear that you have been reading our posts and have found the information given to be amazing!! We try to be helpful.... but amazing is nice too :> Thank you!

For those reading Elna's post.... Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is a varicella zoster virus, same virus as chicken pox or shingles. But this one affects a nerve in the head specifically a facial nerve near the inner ear. The complications of this virus can be numerous and quite debilitating. If anyone is interested, you can google Ramsay Hunt Syndrome for information.

Elna, when were you first diagnosed with RHS? Has it flared up since the oral surgery? Did you make every dentist that you have seen aware that you have RHS?

Regarding the tooth extractions.... glad to hear that you had the root canaled teeth removed as that is two less burdens on your immune system. Do you have any other root canaled teeth? What is the general health of your other teeth and gums? I ask those questions because your overall oral and dental health can have a profound affect on the healing of these two extractions. I just want you to be aware of that as you may need additional treatment to close the sinus perforations and if there are other oral infections, the healing may be lengthy and/or compromised.

Elna, are you concerned about the dental care that you have been receiving? Is this a clinic type or multi practice office with various types of dentists? If so, is it possible for you to seek private dental care from an oral surgeon? I just feel like you have been handed off from one dentist to another and I am concerned about your future care there, for this problem and any others that you may have. How do you feel about that?

Given the type of surgery you have had and multiple times... the swelling may be quite significant for a few days. However, you should report this to the oral surgeon in case he feels it is more than it should be at this point. You are taking antibiotics, did they also prescribe steroids? Did the oral surgeon prescribe the nasal spray? Is it a prescription spray?

It important that you drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to keep flushing the toxins out of your body. When you drink, is the water still coming out of your nose? Are you able to eat? It is best to stay on a nutritious soft food diet for a few weeks to provide nutrition and give your mouth a rest from a lot of chewing.

Are you doing gentle oral rinses with warm salt water? This will help disinfect the wounds and help heal the tissue. If you are rinsing, is the water coming out of your nose?

Each day you have to be mindful of the changes that are taking place and how you feel overall as this will give you clues as to whether you need to be seen by the surgeon, rather than just wait it out. You may feel lousy for a few days, but things should then start and continue to improve each day.

Hopefully you will heal okay and no more surgery will be needed to repair the sinuses. Please keep in touch with us here.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote