Thread: Tarlov cysts
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telvaker View Post
i called his office prior because my 3T MRI was the most current and then i woudl not need a new one. His office, surprisingly, said no to the 3T MRI. I think whoever I talked to was confused. I had a current MRI using the 3T but there were added frequences for the MRN (neurography) portion. Anyway, I got an updated MRI before I left. The appointment went OK. I felt he was a little "flip" about some things. I would imagine because he deals with this stuff daily. He said I was a candidate for surgery and they would get the paperwork going for that. I was confused on some portions of the questions he asked. He asked if I had upper back aches, neck aches, sore throat, cough, etc. I said no only to call back when I got home and tell him yes, I had all those i guess I was just a little nervous and this was my new normal. His nurse told me that these would not be symptoms from the cysts??? i was shocked and didn't say anything but then why would he ask me if i had those symptoms. I of course, went to the foundation and found that neck pain is a symptom. I am somewhat confused and stressed
the neck pain and pain between my shoulders & into my upper arms is horrible today which is scary because this has escalated quite quickly. Did you have upper body issues?
Glad to hear you are a good candidate. Not everyone is and it can be upsetting to hear that.

Oh, you got an MRN? That's a good diagnostic I hear. Didn't know about them until recently.

What things did you think he was flip on? Ask away...

It is possible he might have asked those questions because some people get spinal cysts in multiple locations along the spine including near the neck. They are also pretty through in their exam, more so then a lot of neurosurgeon's I've seen. If you think it's significant, it might not hurt to fax him a letter with any questions and concerns you have.

To answer your question, I have upper body issues, presumably because I've had some c-spine compression previously observed and RA. I hope I don't end up with cysts in my neck, but will know to keep an eye out. On Reta's (TC Foundation) suggestion, I am planning to go for a genetic screening for connective tissue disease as many people with Tarlov cysts have diseases like Marfan's which predispose them to cyst formation. My hope is that my cysts were caused by the massive pelvic hematoma I had almost four years ago.
Tomatogirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote