View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi StyreneOxide,

The wisdom tooth on the sensitive side may have been angled a little differently in the bone than the others were and removing it could result in some additional bone loss in that area as well as next to the adjacent tooth. That bone loss could cause the gum tissue to recede a bit near the adjacent tooth exposing some degree of sensitive root structure. Usually cold temperatures will be bothersome on exposed root surfaces not warm or hot. Usually when the nerves inside of the tooth are inflamed or unwell, hot temps will be bothersome.

So you could be experiencing some gum recession there which makes the tooth react to cool temps. Also some nerve pain from the cavity and deep filling which may have inflamed the pulp making it react to hot temps. Either of these things can produce symptoms that are temporary or remain permanent.

The other possibility is that the tooth is cracked or fractured. This would result in temperature sensitivity to hot and/or cold. Sometimes chewing on it would make it hurt also. In this case, if the crack is not very deep sometimes the symptoms will subside on their own. If it is deep then the symptoms will get progressively worse over time. It can be difficult to diagnose a cracked tooth as the problem could be microscopic and/or below the gum line on a root surface.

It is important to clean that area well and be sure not to leave any food impacted below the gum line as that will cause bacteria and infection. Chewing on it will cause further irritation so it is best to avoid eating in that area for a week or two to give the nerves a chance to settle down.

If the symptoms persist or become worse than see your dentist again for an xray and evaluation. If you are concerned about the filling not being done well or want another pair of eyes to look at it, then get a second opinion from another dentist. Let that dentist take his own periapical and bite wing xrays for proper viewing of that area.

By any chance do you clench or grind your teeth? Those habits can cause teeth to shift out of alignment, fractures, inflammation of the nerves and pain to temperature and chewing. Moving can be very stressful especially when moving to another country. Perhaps a night guard would be helpful during this time? You could speak to your dentist about this and see what he advises.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StyreneOxide (06-18-2015)