View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dave,

Hate to say it, but diabetes IS a progressive disease and some times, no matter how hard and diligent our efforts to do all the right things to control our blood sugar levels, they can and do go up despite our efforts. Many different reasons for this occurrence.

In the USA, the American Diabetes Association sets 7.0 as the "magic" HbA1C level to stay below so you are just a tick above it.

Do not get discouraged. Congrats on your work toward controlling your levels. Keep up the good work on it but you may need to have your meds adjusted to help you.

Does England have the same guidelines as the Am Diabetes Assoc (ADA) ?

Are you on any meds for your diabetes or just controlling it through diet and exercise?

Sometimes your body needs more "help" than whatever your current plan. Adding or increasing meds combined with your efforts will get your numbers down and may alleviate the peripheral neuropathy you are experiencing that may be diabetes related.

After 7 years with only small changes in my plan and meds, my diabetes went out of control the following year for no apparent reason other than the progression of the disease. We changed my medication regiment and I am hoping my numbers will improve on the new plan.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you as you fight to lower your numbers. We are in the same boat and I know the struggle.

Yes, it really does feel like a slap in the face or as you stated a kick in the teeth when we try so hard, and the results go in the wrong direction.

Take time to congratulate yourself on the weight loss and progress you have made. Just think what your number might have been if you hadn't done so much to improve. You may have been at a 9.1 instead of a 7.1 A1C. Your efforts have NOT been in vain. Don't give up. Your efforts will be rewarded with fewer complications.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-29-2015), EnglishDave (06-20-2015), ger715 (06-24-2015), KnowNothingJon (07-03-2015), MelodyL (12-04-2015), St George 2013 (06-21-2015)