View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dave,

I think you are amazing. I knew you had other conditions and being able to lose any weight under your circumstances is extremely laudable.

I, too, have cardiac issues which severely limit my physical activities (also many other conditions contribute to my sedentary state) so exercise has not been a part of my life for several years. Just doing the slightest thing causes angina and SOB that stops me dead in my tracks. (Not to mention PAIN from other conditions.) And when I say the "slightest" thing, I do mean that literally.

I really admire you and your accomplishments. Keep up the GREAT work. It may be time to add something to your arsenal in fighting off those elevated blood sugars. Metformin is the FIRST line med and does not have the adverse low blood sugar level risks that is associated with many of the other types of diabetic drugs.

Many people complain about stomach issues with Metformin as I did when I was first started on it. It made me so sick to my stomach, there was NO way I was going to be taking that everyday. (Side note: I can't stand to be nauseated. Pain is much more tolerable in my book.) I requested to change to the extended release form of Metformin and have been taking it for 8 years with absolutely NO side effects at all. It does NOT upset my stomach in the least bit, even if taken on an empty stomach.

Many people adjust to the regular Metformin after a few weeks but I could not take the nausea long enough to even wait for my body to "adjust" to it. Thank goodness I did my own research and requested the extended release as the physician I had at the time did not know it came in an extended release form. When he told me that, I immediately changed doctors. When I am more informed than my physician, I have doubts as to the care I will receive from him. Adore my NEW doctor of the past 8 years.

In MY opinion, I think the extended release form works better, too. That is only an opinion and not necessarily a valid assumption I have made.

The ONLY thing I do not like about my Metformin is the SIZE of the pills. I have never been very good at swallowing oral meds but have learned out of necessity.

Out of all the medications I take for various conditions, the largest oral med is the Metformin but I am now very used to swallowing them. To most people, they probably are not large but for someone that has ALWAYS disliked swallowing pills, I did find them big. There are no larger than some antibiotic meds I have taken in my life for acute issues but I knew they were not for more than X number of days.

It did take me a few weeks to adjust to the idea that I might be swallowing these pills for the rest of my life, but I think nothing of it now. I STILL take my Metformin ER, I just have added more medications to my regiment.

You are an inspiration. If you can lose 14 pounds, I should be able to lose a few myself.

Added: I eat "properly". I must admit, though, that I DO have a problem with portion control if it is something I like. I am known to eat a LARGE portion of brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, etc. I just LOVE cabbage. Not the best thing for my blood sugar levels at large portions due to its natural sugars.

Thanks for talking with me.

Last edited by Hopeless; 06-20-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added line
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-29-2015), ger715 (06-24-2015), KnowNothingJon (07-03-2015), St George 2013 (06-21-2015)