View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDave View Post
MrsD,

It IS maddening. I did not know A1c could be affected by a meal spike, The meal spike is not the day of the blood draw, it is the spikes after meals over the past few months. but this is never the case for me. I always have my bloods taken between 9 and 10am - for anything - and I never eat in the morning An HbA1C is NOT a fasting test. meals before the blood draw have nothing to do with an A1C result - nausea issues, glad I mentioned the ER form I just cannot stomach it. So last food intake was a small snack with meds 10pm the night before - 3 hours before sleep

It is best to be fasting for a basic metabolic panel which includes a glucose level but that is your level just at the moment of the blood draw, just as you would get with your own meter. The A1C is a different test and I believe it is collected in a different test tube. Don't quote me on that as I am not positive but if memory serves me, two different collection tubes for a BMP and an A1C.

I will ask my GP for another test in a few months, whether he prescribes meds or not, to see where I'm going. GREAT idea. I would ask for one every 3 months for a year to monitor it -- if you are allowed that in England. If your results are good each time, then you can reduce the frequency.

Hopeless,

We really are fighting the same battle. Before I was rxed Diltiazem last year I had near-constant heart pains from microvascular disease over the angina attacks. It really does hurt more (as does an actual heart attack) when you have Hypersensitivity/Neuropathy.

If my GP goes down the meds track I will ask about extended release Metformin. I suffer constant nausea for which I take Metoclopramide 3 times a day and Lansoprazole - now THAT is a horse tranquiliser sized cap.
Hope you can decipher my responses. I noted your comments in RED, and my responses in BLUE. Hope they actually show up that way when I hit submit.

Sent you a PM, too.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-29-2015), EnglishDave (06-21-2015), ger715 (06-24-2015), St George 2013 (06-21-2015)