View Single Post
Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Finding jobs given computer-related injury

I have TOS, cubital tunnel syndrome, and pain in my neck and back. Virtually all the pain is activity related-- if I am able to spend a couple of days gently walking and lying down carefully on my side, and doing nothing else, the pain partially subsides.

Unfortunately, I have to work most days. My problems are generally repetitive strain injury, and typing is by far the biggest aggravating action. At best I can type for a few minutes without pain; on a bad day I can hardly type at all. I currently teach abroad, and my job is essentially part-time and does not require much computer use.

I would prefer, however, to work in the U.S., where I'm from. So I have a general question: what types of employment have people been able to do, given your own pain situation? I have a law degree from a top-3 program, but modern lawyers spend most of their time sitting at computers. In fact, it was in law school and at legal internships that my physical problems went from mildly bothersome to crippling.

I realize this question is both somewhat broad and somewhat individualized. My hope is to spur a general discussion and see what comes up. Many thanks to those who have input, thoughts, and advice.
JNT2014 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote