View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi indiansummer,

The swelling you have described can be associated with a few things. But typically it is seen with root canaled teeth because the bacteria living inside of infected teeth proliferates beyond the tooth and into the bone. Frequently the result of that bacterial infection is the formation of a Radicular cyst that forms at the apex (end) of the root. When the infected tooth is extracted, it is imperative to remove the periodontal ligament, all diseased tissue and bone AND the cyst. If any of those things are not removed, the bacteria will continue to thrive in spite of antibiotic therapy. The medication may temporarily subside the symptoms and the swelling, but the bacteria will still be present and continue to spread.

Most general dentists are not extensively trained in oral surgery. So anything other than simple straight forward extractions of non infected teeth is not an area that they are well versed or extensively experienced in. So it would be wise to consult with an oral surgeon to evaluate the surgical site and the lump. It would be very helpful for the OS to have your pre op xrays of that quadrant of your mouth so he can see the history of that tooth prior to its extraction. He would also need to take his own xrays of that area to help determine the extent of the pathology that may be present in the bone.

Hope this info is helpful. Please check in and let us know how you're doing.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote