View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default PCS sufferer

Hello, I'm writing because I am a very worried PCS sufferer.

My symptoms have been present for the past 7 months and I am starting to doubt if I will ever recover. I am only 21 years old and live for sport, mainly soccer. I have been browsing the forum and noticed your comment.

If you could get back to me with any news on how your condition has altered since posting in 2010 I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I sincerely hope you have made a full recovery or are at least happy in your life.

Jake, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttobesurfing View Post
Craig,

I understand what you are saying completely. I injured myself snowboarding 1.5 years ago. I too am an avid hockey player. I have not yet fully recovered from my concussion. I am a passionate hockey player and haven't played for the past year and a half. I won't play at all this winter again. I have decided I won't play again until 100% fully healed and maybe even then I won't.

I'm not as young as you (39) but love hockey. Read this carefully "you should not play again until you are 100% better". Have you noticed what's going on in the NHL right now - go look at the injury list of different teams - PCS is dominating. You are nuts to go and play contact hockey let alone non-contact until you are 100% recovered.

I am also a surfer and snowboarder. I have snowboarded a little but just with my kids at relatively slow speeds. I've surfed a bit in conditions where I'm in complete control. I don't want to be a hypocrite as there is some risk with those things but I feel it is not high - unlike hockey.

You must make that decision re: hockey. It is not worth it. When you do recover you need to play non-contact only.

Try to find other things - I work out at the gym, weights, run and am pretty fit. It sucks compared to hockey but it's something. For the first year I was nauseated every single day all day so I understand. As I write this I'm having a bad day and am light headed and nauseated. I am keeping hope one day it will go away - it's not as bad as it was and you need to look at things on a longer horizon - easy to say but hard to do.

I'm not recovered yet and just deal with feeling like crap often during workouts. You have to maintain your self-esteem.

If you want to chat more send me a private message. I completely understand how you feel.
jake_kel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote