View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 05:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Introducing myself, CRPS in thumb

Hi All,

I have been lurking here since received my CRPS diagnosis a few weeks ago, so I decided it was time to say hello.

About six weeks ago I had a thumb joint fusion surgery due to RA complications. About 7-10 days after the surgery, I started to feel an intense burning pain around the incision site. It felt like something was pulling on my stitches. I desperately wanted the splint off, but I had to wait another week. Finally the splint was removed and my stitches were taken out, and I got my first glimpse of the thumb. It was bright red and purple, and the skin was mottled. The skin peeled off in sheets. It looked like a third degree burn.

Luckily, the surgeon immediately recognized CRPS. From what I have read, I am extremely fortunate to have such a quick diagnosis.

I went to my Pain Mgt doctor, and he confirmed CRPS. He immediately started me on Lyrica - 300mg per day.

The Lyrica is working wonders for the pain, but the pain still creeps up to a 5 or 6 at times. But generally, I am comfortable. The side effects are pretty bad, but I am tolerating them. The fatigue is intense, requiring me to take 3 hour naps each day (or else drink 3 lattes or espressos after noon). Also, the cognitive side effects are a bit bothersome.

I believe that I am also fortunate to have my CRPS localized to my thumb. The docs that I have seen are amazed that it has not affected my entire hand. I am hoping that it does not spread.

I think often of all of you who post here about your disease. It is one heck of a monster. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I am accustomed to pain. However, CRPS is an entirely different animal. I often feel like I have a third degree sunburn, and someone is pouring salt into it.

Does anyone else have CRPS stemming from a hand surgery?

Thanks for allowing me to share my story.
Island-girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (06-23-2015)