View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Monika,

You are welcome

The hard lump needs to be evaluated more thoroughly than it appears to have been by your general dentist. He means well but it's important for you to understand that he is not extensively trained in this type of dentistry so although he is hopeful that the lump will resolve on its own, he is not giving you a diagnosis of what it is or why it is there. So ideally it should be evaluated by an oral surgeon for a proper diagnosis which will hopefully determine if intervention is necessary or not. The surgeon may also take a wait and see approach but at least he will give you a diagnosis.

The intervention, if any, for a lump such as yours depends on what it is, what the internal dimensions are and where exactly it is located in the bone or soft tissue. These are the issues that an oral surgeon will try to determine, which takes more than just a clinical look see in your mouth. Diagnostically you may need some additional radio graphs and/or possibly a multidimensional dental CT scan (not a 2D CT scan as that is not diagnostic enough).

Before you get all worked up over what may or may not happen, get it properly diagnosed as it may not need any intervention. But you won't know that until you know more about it.

Can your dentist refer you to an oral surgeon or better yet, can you go to an oral surgeon of your own choosing? Are you in the US? Are you dependent upon health insurance coverage?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote